In this tense the ‘ing’ form of the verb is used.
The formula for future continuous (Positive) is Subject +Aux+Aux+ V4(ing form).
|I shall be writing.||I shall not be writing.||Shall I be writing?|
|We shall be writing.||We shall not be writing.||Shall we be writing?|
|You will be writing.||You will not be writing.||Will you be writing?|
|He will be writing.||He will not be writing.||Will he be writing?|
|She will be writing.||She will not be writing.||Will she be writing?|
|It will be writing.||It will not be writing.||Will it be writing?|
|They will be writing.||They will not be writing.||Will they be writing?|
This Tense is used to express an action which starts at some point of time in future and continuing for a period of time.
I shall be making preparations for my exams. (Positive sentence)
She will not be going to school tomorrow due to her illness. (Negative sentence)
Will they be writing report next week? (Interrogative sentence)
Rules and uses of Future Continuous tense
Future continuous tense is used
- With tomorrow, next week, next month where ‘at this time’ is mentioned.
- To express Parallel Actions.
- To express interrupted future actions.
- To express Future Guesses.
1. With tomorrow, next week, next month where ‘at this time’ is given
Future representing words like tomorrow, next week, next month etc. are used in future tense. At the context, where at this time is given we need to use Future Continuous tense.
- You will be writing exam at this time on Thursday.
- At time, they will be singing on the stage day after tomorrow.
- She will be getting ready to go to airport at this time next week.
2. Parallel Actions
Parallel actions of future can be expressed by using future continuous tense.
- Annie will be watching basketball, enjoying and eating ice cream.
- They will be going there, meeting and planning their program.
3. Interrupted future actions
An action that will be interrupted in the future can be expressed by Future Continuous tense.
- I shall not be calling you when you study.
- We shall be reading when they come inside the room.
4. Future Guesses
When we make any future plan then we can use future continuous tense.
- I shall be going to see her next week.
- They will be starting new business next month.
- She will be coming tomorrow.