Malcom X said “Education is the passport to the future, for Tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today”. In order to reach for such a bright and beautiful future, what are the qualities should a student primarily focus on? Here are the ten qualities of a good student.
- Discipline : First and foremost quality of a student is discipline. It means, student must follow strict time table for study, and follow instructions of Teachers, Parents and Management in their day to day life. In other words, discipline means doing what has to be done, when it has to be done, as well as the confidence it can be done, and doing it that way, all the time.
- In fact, Everyone must choose one of the two pains in life. The pain of discipline or the pain of Regret.
- Focus on End Result : A student should not fear to bear the hardships of learning. He / she should always focus on the end result of completing each class in flying colours, so as to reach top in their life later on.
- Hence, one has to begin with the end in mind.
- Manage Relationship: A student must always maintain cordial relationship not only with Teachers and Staff but also with fellow Students, so that he/she can focus on studies and extracurricular activities properly.Good relationship makes you, a better person.
- *Be careful, always talk about only good things.
- Sharp Observation: Students must always have sharp observation and keen interest in learning new things as Observation breeds Knowledge, Knowledge breeds Understanding and Understanding breeds Wisdom . Therefore, their keen observation help them to become wise enough, to handle almost all situations in Life.
- That is why it is said .To acquire Knowledge one must study; But to acquire Wisdom, one must observe.
- Ask Right questions: There is a statement, “ If you ask questions you may seem idiot once, but if you do not ask questions there are chances that you remain idiot forever”. A student always asks questions to clarify what He / She understood when the teacher is teaching. There should not be any hesitation to ask right questions to clarify different concepts.
- If a student does not know how to ask right questions, that student discovers nothing.
- Always remain in Pursuit of Knowledge: Good students always remain in pursuit of Knowledge. More knowledgeable they become, more hunger for knowledge they develop. They keep on their minds to acquire in depth knowledge in the fields of their studies. In short, good students are always remain teachable and they surrender themselves in pursuit of Knowledge.
- The way of success is the way of continuous pursuit of Knowledge.
- Understanding rather than Memorizing: Resolving any doubt by asking on the spot is always a good thing. Several surveys suggest students must understand concepts rather than just memorizing them. The memorized facts and theories will stay in students’ memory until they leave school. Once out of school, the students will totally forget the core concepts that they had learnt.Therefore, it is essential for a good student to understand Concepts.
- That way, Students’ progress should be measured in terms of the questions they are asking, not by the answers they are reciting.
- Concentration: Students need to pay attention in the class. They are not supposed to chat with their peers. Attention in the classroom is very important as school is meant for learning. Teachers are there to make them understand the concepts. Students are almost spending 7-8 hours of the day time in school. That means they are going to School/College and spending important time there. they are going to school to listen and understand. If they don’t concentrate they do not understand what is taught in the class.
- Make it a Virtuous circle. Not a vicious Circle. Don’t let the distractions distract you.
- Determination : Determination to achieve is very crucial for any student to succeed in his/her life. We may have to face some challenges or problems on our way. But never lose determination.
- The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in individual’s determination.
- Planning (Study time) : Plans are nothing. Planning is everything. Students have to plan the time for their studies both morning and evening. They should not postpone at any cost. Total week’s completed syllabus must be refreshed on weekend. Ultimately, this will be the preparation for their exams.
Abraham Lincoln said,
- If you give me eight hours to chop a tree, I spend 6 hours to sharpen the axe.
For a succesful education along with discipline, knowledge, wisdom and for all round development and successful future, a student must embrace and follow these characteristics meticulously and religiously.
Parents need to help and see that their children inculcate these qualities and own the responsibility of nurturing them.There is no substitute for education.
All the best to B thee best.Thank you.